Art appreciation and photography demonstration at GGC by tmox


I went down to Georgia Gwinnett College to give a photography demonstration to a few art appreciation classes for my friend Carolina. I'm comfortable teaching to students who are already following a photographic course of study but this was my first time in a while teaching to students who aren't generally interested in art. I was a little nervous at first when my thumb drive was not recognized by the GGC institutional windows setup. So much for putting together a slide presentation! I was able to adjust my presentation on the fly, I mostly spoke about my influences in pictorialism and the photo secession movement since I knew they had covered that material already but I also spoke about the new topographic movement and how important it has been to my aesthetic. I showed examples of my personal and commercial work and talked about the camera obscura and demonstrated the principles using my 4x5 view camera while Christian setup my lights. I took a few portraits of the students using Fuji 4x5 instant film and scanned them later at the studio. Hopefully the students like the portraits enough for FB!!